Long-Range Plans and Travel Demand Models
Rob has over 37-years of experience in long-range transportation planning and travel demand forecasting models. He is a member of the Transportation Planning Analysis and Application Committee (AEP-15) of the Transportation Research Board (TRB). Rob served as Conference Chair of the 2011 TRB Transportation Planning Applications Conference (AppCon) and Technical Chair of both the 2009 AppCon and the 2018 TRB Tools of the Trade Conference. His experience encompasses transportation planning studies in 30 states and commonwealths for national, statewide, regional, municipal, subarea, and rural clients. Rob has worked on over 30 MPO long-range transportation plans, 30 subarea transportation plans, and more than 50 travel demand model updates. He has analyzed travel patterns using household travel surveys, onboard transit surveys, external intercept surveys and big/passive data from a variety of vendors. Rob has specialized in long-range transportation plans and travel demand models for small-to-medium sized MPOs.
Rob is also an expert in the development, validation, application, and study of statewide travel demand forecasting models. He is a charter member of the TRB Statewide Travel Demand Forecasting Subcommittee. Rob served as Principal Investigator on National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Report 735 – Long-Distance and Rural Travel Transferable Parameters for Statewide Models; NCHRP Project 8-36, Task 91 – Validation and Sensitivity Considerations for Statewide Models; and NCHRP Project 8-36, Task 70 – Scoping Study for National Travel Demand Forecasting Model Phase I. He was coauthor of TRB Circular E-C075, Statewide Model Peer Exchange and Project Manager for an FHWA Office of Planning task order for Statewide Travel Forecasting Workshops, that included training workshops in Arizona and Virginia. Rob has led development of statewide models for Florida and Iowa and a statewide freight model for Arkansas; statewide model applications and refinements for Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin; and State DOT evaluations of statewide models in Mississippi and Utah.
- M.S., Urban and Regional Planning, Transportation Specialization Florida State University, 1984
- B.A., Geography and Urban Studies, Memphis State University, 1982 (now University of Memphis)
Licences and Certifications
- American Institute of Certified Planners, 1987
Skills & Specialisations
- Travel demand modeling
- Long-range transportation plans
- Travel behavior and origin-destination travel surveys
- Site impact traffic studies
- Multi-modal travel demand
No projects listed
Honours & Awards
- TRB AEP15-Transportation Planning Analysis and Application Committee
- TRB AEP50(3)-Statewide Travel Models Subcommittee
- Technical Chair, 2018 TRB Tools of the Trade Conference
- Conference Chair, 2011 TRB Transportation Planning Applications Conference
- Technical Chair, 2009 TRB Transportation Planning Applications Conference
Join Our Team
Become part of our team. Learn who we are, what we are doing, and how you can help us improve transportation.