Mr. Miller is senior analyst with Metro Analytics, offering very broad expertise in data analysis (spatial, longitudinal, and cross sectional) using GIS, Excel, and the R language for statistical computing, including extensive experience in ‘data wrangling’ for all three platforms. His expertise includes scenario development, forecasting, trends, performance metrics & policy evaluations in the context of regional planning, urban development patterns, socio-demographics, and system planning. Matt helped develop a shared MPO-DOT-Transit agency performance metrics as part of Performance Based Planning and Programming initiative. For Metropolitan Area Planning Council of Boston, Matt test-implemented the feasibility of project prioritization methodology. Matt is a thoughtful and reflective practitioner devoted to using data and infographics to inform and educate decision-makers. Matt is also serving as Primary Analyst on NCHRP 08-122 (future of MPOs) and a supporting analyst on NCHRP 20-125 and NCHRP 08-124.
- PhD (ABD), Metropolitan Planning, Policy, and Design, University of Utah, 2020
- Master of Urban Planning, University of Utah, 2007
- BA., Urban Planning, University of Utah, 2005
Skills & Specialisations
Matt Miller is a senior planning analyst with Metro Analytics. Matt has worked with Metro Analytics for the past 10-years. Matt was a primary author of the AMPO Award Winning Envision Missoula long range transportation plan, has pioneered the application of direct-demand models to evaluate destination access, diversity of land uses, density, transit access and other factors on urban corridors throughout the nation. He is currently serving as the principal policy analyst on NCHRP 08-122 – a national guidebook for MPO’s in the 21st Century. Matt is also currently leading direct-demand land-use based transportation assessments for Capital Area MPO (CAMPO) in Raleigh North Carolina.
- Expert in transit planning
- Transit (LRT, SC, BRT, bus)
- Transit Oriented Development
- Built Environment/Travel Behavior
- Long Range Transportation Plans
- System Planning
- GIS and spatial data science
- Regression analysis
Matt is passionate about transit ridership forecasting and performance-based planning.
- Primary author of the AMPO Award Winning Envision Missoula long range transportation plan
- Pioneered the application of direct-demand models
- Principal policy analyst on NCHRP 08-122 for MPOs
- Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) and high-capacity transit routes in Charlotte, NC Study
- East Lakefront District TIGER Grant
- WFRC Joint Goals and Performance Measures
- Envision Tomorrow Plus (ET+)
- Salt Lake County Hedonic Analysis
- Utah Statewide Travel Model
- Board Member, Utah Transit Riders Union
- Member, TRB Standing Committee APO25: Public Transportation Planning and Development
- TRB committee on public transportation planning
Join Our Team
Become part of our team. Learn who we are, what we are doing, and how you can help us improve transportation.