Frank Broen is a national expert in communicating complex transportation issues for planning, systems implementation, multimodal operations, forecasting and trends, and transportation data analytics. He also has 40+ years of experience helping communicate transportation issues on the local, state, and national level. He most recently served as Primary Investigator for NCHRP 52-16: Visualization of Highway Performance Measures Synthesis. as well as visualized the NCHRP 25-47 Access Management Communication’s Toolkit. He serves as the secretary of the TRB Visualization in Transportation Committee and webmaster of the TRB Access Management committee. He also is a member of the TRB Communication Coordinators Council, serving the Data and Information Section.
His experience in developing learning tools from face-to-face, on-line, and interactive courses has resulted in AASHTO award-winning products. Frank’s visualization expertise has helped the Florida Department of Transportation communicate mobility, maintenance, economy, and livability performance measures and with the Florida Traffic Information applications expanded access to traffic and roadway information.
As President of Teach America, Frank supported the planning and execution of over 26 national or regional conferences. He has recorded presentations and produced proceedings for conferences and symposia since 2006. Frank brings added value to every project as an integral team member committed to the project’s success, from drone photography to infographics, interactive apps to brochures, technical guides to conceptual videos.
- B.S., Physics Florida State University, 1978
Licences and Certifications
- FAA 107 Remote Pilot license 4196874
- Licensed Drone Pilot
Skills & Specializations
- Performance Measures
- Access Management
- Communicating complex transportation issues
Frank has created communication materials for national, state, and local projects. He developed training curriculum for Florida DOT in policy, systems planning and transportation statistics. His expertise ranges from printed to interactive online visualization on topics such as roundabouts, alternative intersections, performance measures, high level briefings, corridor plans, access management, and MPO planning.
- NCHRP 25-47 Communicating the benefits of Access Management
- FDOT Performance Report
- Driveway, Median, Level of Service Handbooks and Training
- Access Management Website, Manual, NCHRP Report 25-47
- Developed Corridor Visualization Explorer
- Performance Measures for Florida DOT
- Helped plan 25 national transportation conferences
Honours & Awards
- President, Teach America
- AASHTO Awards for several projects with FDOT
- TRB Distinguished Achievement
- Corridor Visualization Explorer CVE
- TRB Secretary ABJ95, Visualization in Transportation
- TRB Communication Coordinator's Council
- TRB Member AHB70 Access Management (11 years)
Join Our Team
Become part of our team. Learn who we are, what we are doing, and how you can help us improve transportation.