Felipe Aros-Vera, PhD
Felipe Aros-Vera is an Associate Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at Ohio University. He holds a Ph.D. in Transportation Engineering from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), and a M.S. and B.S. on Engineering Sciences from the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
Felipe’s research spans the fields of Transportation Engineering, Human Trafficking, and Humanitarian Logistics. His research uses network modeling and optimization to analyze resilience of transportation and other critical infrastructure networks and design of interdiction strategies; and statistical analysis (econometric models and AI based algorithms) to identify and quantify key variables that influence the risk for human trafficking at the country, and state levels.
Dr. Aros-Vera collaborates with multiple universities, private sector, and institutions. As part of his work, Dr. Aros-Vera has done fieldwork research after multiple disasters including Puerto Rico after the 2017 Hurricanes Irma and Maria, and shadowed sting operations by police enforcement during the NFL Draft in 2021. Dr. Aros-Vera has received multiple awards including the 2020 Outstanding Mentor Award by the Cutler Scholars Program at Ohio University, finalist of the 2017 Franz Edelman Award by INFORMS, and the 2014 Thomas Archibald Bedford Prize by RPI.
- Ph.D. Transportation Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY, USA 2014
- M.S. Engineering Sciences (summa cum laude), Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago, Chile 2011
- Civil Industrial Engineer, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago, Chile 2011
- B.S. Engineering Sciences, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago, Chile 2007
Skills & Specializations
No skills and specializations listed
No projects listed
Honours & Awards
- 2020 Outstanding Mentor Award by the Cutler Scholars Program at Ohio University
- The 2017 Franz Edelman Finalist Award - INFORMS for Achievement in Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- Recipient of the Thomas Archibald Bedford Prize (2015) for demonstrated high scholastic ability and substantial contribution to the field of civil engineering
- Volvo Research and Educational Foundation (VREF) Study Visit Grant. French Institute of Science and Technology for Transport, Development and Networks (IFSTTAR). Paris, France (2014)
- Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review (2013)
- Research and Teaching Assistantship Award from Rensselaer Polytechninc Institute (2010 - 2014).
- Scholarship for Master of Sciences Students from Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile (2007).
- Padre Hurtado Scholarship for undergraduate studies from Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile (2001)
- Mejor Institutano, Highest recognition given by Instituto Abdon Cifuentes, San Felipe, Chile (2000)
- Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- Institute for Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS)
- Production and Operations Management Society (POMS)
Join Our Team
Become part of our team. Learn who we are, what we are doing, and how you can help us improve transportation.