Metro Analytics Completes La Verkin Corridor Solutions Study
We are excited to announce that Metro Analytics recently completed a Corridor Solutions Development Study for SR 9/SR 17 in La Verkin, Utah, in collaboration with UDOT and the City of La Verkin. The intention of the study was to identify potential changes that UDOT and the City of La Verkin could implement to improve current development issues and future-proof the city’s transportation system.
The primary product of this study is an ArcGIS Online StoryMap that reviews the existing conditions and context of this growing southern Utah town just outside of Zion National Park. The StoryMap also defines the community’s vision, goals, and objectives through stakeholder outreach, explores potential needs and solutions, and provides an implementation plan for those solutions.
Some of the solutions recommended include:
- the development of several key transportation elements, including bike and pedestrian-friendly active transportation corridors,
- a mobility hub to connect active transportation to future transit stops,
- a one-way couplet with a northbound split of SR 9 to create a walkable downtown area,
- land use policy to create a vibrant mixed-use downtown area, and
- innovative intersections to help with access management.
These solutions will help the city achieve its goal of developing a pedestrian-safe, walkable downtown area that is attractive to seasonal tourists visiting Zion National Park. It will also help the city address its desire to bring economic growth to the city and be more desirable for potential homebuyers who may work outside of La Verkin.
These transportation and policy recommendations will help the City of La Verkin maintain mobility through town despite the anticipated traffic growth and help UDOT keep SR 9 safe for pedestrians and travelers.
Please check out the ArcGIS StoryMap at https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/f5003bc9a04743a186dcf0c2401dd5b1